BECAUSE YOU KNOW THOSE POUNDS YOU KEPT PROMISING YOURSELF TO LOSE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE ANYTIME SOON...JUST LIKE THE FROST OUTSIDE
Before you go all furious and start venting your frustration on social media or even worse, googling crazy crash diets, let me explain something really quickly here:
IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU ARE UNABLE TO STICK TO YOUR DIET RESOLUTIONS!
Not entirely, at least.
do you want to know #1 reason why it is so darn hard to stick to any new diet past the first two weeks of January...
Are you ready to finally discover this "secret"? Here it is:
You are fighting against the most powerful force there is - the power of nature.
I get it. You woke up from the turkey/partying coma on (or around, no judgement) January 1st feeling like crap (and in most cases, looking up to par). So the next thing you do is you sign up for a smoothie challenge and hit the gym. Or at least that is the plan.
I applaud you for it, don't get me wrong, as it is definitely a great idea, but there is a dose of reality I want to hit you with right now that will make you feel less guilty and miserable when the gym calls you to remind that you have not activated your new membership...
1. If you live in Canada (or any country rocking the white winter), I dare you to actually look outside. And then to go out. At 5am in the morning (because that's when you said you'd hit that gym, right?). Or after dinner... into balmy -20C (plus taxes. Windchill, I mean 😉 )
A quick physiology lesson: one of the reasons why we have adipose tissue (aka. fat) is because it is needed for insulation! Class dismissed (told ya, it's a quick lesson). 😉
Take it from someone who lost 50 lbs just before winter - it is much colder out there for skinny people and our bodies KNOW what is best for them.
I feel a quick disclaimer is needed here: To make it clear, I am not suggesting that putting on 20+ pounds will make you feel like you are on the beach in Mexico.
2. We are currently into the shortest days and longest nights season. What does it mean for dieters? Your body would naturally like to get more sleep! Sometimes you even feel you'd rather hibernate until about April... I feel ya, really. With temps so low and snow storms showing up pretty much twice a week, it is really hard to gather up the energy for anything, not only workouts. So don't panic - your workout allergy (yes, there is such thing, google it), is your body saying: are you kidding me?? And this right after...
3. If you are a fairly normal human being, you probably had a second serving of turkey and of course you did not let those mashed potatoes and gravy go to waste either. Plus who refuses dessert(s!) during Christmas, right?!
It is a scientifically proven fact, that chocolate consumed during the holidays goes straight to your muscles and brain, not love handles...
Well.... OK, to tell you the truth, science is bit behind on discovering this. That hypothesis of mine is yet to be confirmed. 😉
So, after all of those holiday indulgences you now have to deal with yet another powerful force of nature: your own bogged down metabolism, which is making you crave the things you should totally be avoiding to lose weight.
3 things to do now to actually get those resolutions right this time
Since winter is the worst time of year to drop pounds, when is the best time? Well... the EASIEST time to do it is spring, more or less around spring equinox. We are naturally more energized then and more cheerful, making it easier to be more active. With more sunlight and warmer temperatures (well... hopefully...) you will find that having salads twice a day is actually enjoyable! Your body will naturally transition from preservation mode to lighter eating. Just follow your instincts. 🙂
And in the meantime, here are 3 quick (AND SIMPLE) tips you can do to kickstart the process.
- Ditch any restrictive diet and eat the smart way, not for the runway! Eat real food with balanced nutrients and try not to overeat. Best way to do so is to have a solid (but easy to execute) meal plan. Click here if you need some help with it.
- Start your day with warm water with lemon (and enjoy it 30 minutes before each meal) plus chew your food well! This is the amazing metabolism booster and an instant fix for your digestion. I bet you didn't know that improperly digested food accounts for extra pounds and that the fix can be as simple as taking time to chew and drinking water, huh?
- Spice things up in the kitchen! Hey, where is your mind going with this? I meant actual spices. In food. 🙂 Use thermogenic and aromatic spices like cayenne, cinnamon, black pepper, mustard, turmeric or ginger to literally melt the fat away. Those spices increase circulation and energy expenditure, naturally boosting your metabolism without killer workouts.
Of course incorporating some physical activity is also beneficial. Start where you are and gradually increase the duration and intensity. Plus stick to the things you actually enjoy doing. If you like swimming, make time for that. Take stairs instead of elevator, park your car further from the entrance, so you have to walk more. And if you are a hiker, like me go outside. There is no bad weather, after all. Only poor clothing and mascara choices. 😀